Although city densification, in contrast to further city sprawl, is often considered a need in the viewpoint of the growing world population, it puts at the same time a strong pressure on the urban environmental quality, and as a consequence, on the quality of life and health of citizens. Major environmental challenges in the next decades are consequently located in the built-up urban environment.
If you are passionate to learn how sustainability can be guaranteed in the urban fabric, how to alleviate current problems and how to avoid future issues, studying Urban Environmental Management at Ghent University (Belgium) is exactly what you are looking for.
Become an expert
With this specialization study, you will:
- get insight in the concepts of city planning and development, at various scales, and make the link with the environmental issues this brings. You will learn how to position sustainability in the city-making process.
- obtain in-depth knowledge regarding the chemical, physical and biological disturbance of the specific urban environment.
- learn the concepts of urban livability, environmental annoyance and health impacts on citizens.
- study in depth common and state-of-the-art mitigation measures related to the major environmental problems in cities.
- become a multi-disciplinary thinker regarding environmental disturbances in the urban fabric. Many environmental and livability goals must be reconciled with the functions (housing, trade and economy, logistics, etc.) a city has to fulfill.
- You can choose to major and perform thesis research in Urban Environmental Management during the entire second year of the two-year master program in Environmental Science and Technology.
- The teaching staff of this program is dedicated to train a new generation of professionals that is ready to provide creative, sustainable and workable solutions for increasingly complex and wicked environmental problems, from local to global scale, both in developed and developing economies, from oceans to mega-cities, duly accounting for the driving forces of global climate change.
- Ghent University is a top 100 university on the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities (66th overall, 37th for life sciences) and top 100 for environmental studies on the QS top universities ranking.
- The teaching staff of this master program has been in involved in worldwide renowned research in the area of Urban studies. For instance, top research in urban logistics, urban greening and related ecosystem services, waste gas treatment, and environmental noise management and urban sound propagation will flow directly to you during lectures, exercises and site visits.
The application deadline for the Environmental Science and Technology programme is February 29th 2020 for non-EU and scholarship seeking students (EU or non-EU) and June 1st for EU students. Get in touch via Facebook.
|Van Renterghem, Timothy|